Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I wear mono vision contacts; my right eye uses a contact for

Customer Question

I wear mono vision contacts; my right eye uses a contact for distance and my left eye with no contact allows me to read without reading glasses; for the past several weeks, I have been experiencing red eye with pain and has gradually increased to my nose and right top of head; it lasts for a couple days, gets better then in a week or so, returns; I have seen my GP and he was concerned that it might be Glucoma so he recommended me to see an eye specialist; the eye specialist 'poo-poo'd' my GP's concern of Glucoma because I have none in my family; I was not aware that Glucoma is hereditary; I have discontinued use of my contact as I thought that might be either the cause or at least contributing to the issue; but the pain still recurrs every several days; the eye specialist did give me a med for eye infection, he seemed to think I had not been taking care of my contact, which I wasn't but am doing better with no change in my eye pain.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

The most prevalent form of glaucoma is inherited. However, that should not be the only reason to rule out glaucoma. Assuming he has seen you and has ruled out glaucoma, I would suspect that your redness and pain could be one of several things. Allergies, sinuses, overwear of contacts (you can get blood vessels growing in the cornea), GPC (a contact lens induced conjunctivitis), or contact lens induced infection/ulcer. If he thinks that you have an infection, then antibiotics would be reasonable (as well as throwing away your contact lens that has been contaminated). Sometimes, after the infection is calmed down, we add a little steroid drops to help with the pain and swelling. After this resolves, you can open a new pair of contacts and try again.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Eye specialist did give me IQUIX 1/5%OPTH SOLN 5ML; and it helped but not completely; I did get rid of contact and used a fresh one; it still recurred; I then decided I would not wear contact at all until it gets resolved; but I still am having this issue. It has only been a week that I discontinued use of contact. Should this med I received be able to get rid of ulcer if that is what it is? Also, what time frame am I looking at?

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Your doctor can tell you if you have an ulcer or not. It would be a big deal; so if he did not mention it or culture, it probably was just an infection (not ulcer). Usually after a week of antibiotics, I add a little steroids (provided there was no ulcer) to help with the pain and swelling. Then I would taper both drops. It sometimes can take up to 3 weeks to feel comfortable to wear contacts again.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help on this....It really sounds like the same my eye specialist said. I do have an appt in 3 weeks to test for Glaucoma as I am 63. Your answers give me more questions to ask. I have never had this issue before, so of course always think the worse. You have relieved my concerns. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome and good luck.