Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hello. My name isXXXXX am a United States Marine stationed

Hello. My name isXXXXX am a United States Marine stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I was diagnosed with Esotropia when I was two. I wore glasses all my life and I am getting cosmetic strabismus sergury next month. My depth perception is awful and I want to know what options I have after this sergury. Anything to improve my depth perception? I want to become a fighter pilot but its fading away rapidly. I turn 20 in November. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Could you please answer the following questions -
What is the vision in your eyes (with and without glasses)?
Since what age are you wearing glasses?
Have you been diagnosed to be suffering from amblyopia?
Do you have any other disease in your eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My left eye is 20/30 and my right eye is 20/50. The left eye is fine however, my right eye turns inward which is very strong. I am about to have surgery next month. I've been wearing glasses since I was 2. I do have amblyopia. I have very bad depth perception. I dont have any other diseases in my eyes. He said that I cannot have lasik surgery, i'm guessing in my right eye because my cornea is too small or something. It would cut too much of it off.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hello Paul,

Is your 20/50 and 20/30 vision with glasses? If so, you may have amblyopia (lazy eye) as a result of the esotropia. Your visual acuity will unlikely improve after the surgery.

Judging depth takes the use of 2 eyes working together. Since you're eyes have not worked together for a long time, even if they are realigned, your depth perception may not improve.

A good estimation is to see how well your eyes work together is the check your vision with the correct glasses presciption AND adequate prism necessary to fuse the images.

So, you may need to address both the visual acuity problem (20/30 and 20/50) as well as depth perception issues for quality to be a fighter pilot. Strabismus surgery may not improve your chances.

It may be helpful to address your expectations with your eye surgeon to see if he thinks differently.

Good luck!
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon