Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

Hello, I am a 43 year-old white female. About one month

Customer Question

I am a 43 year-old white female. About one month ago I started having a red left eyelid. It itched really bad. I went to my family physician and he said the inside of the lid was inflamed and prescribed eyedrops. The red eyelid didn't go away. I went to a skin dr. who presribed FML ointment. It helped for a few days but then came back. NOW, just two days ago, my left eyeball started to have pain, so I went to the optomotrist, and he said I have a corneal defect. He gave me antibiotic drops and also steroid ointment. He looked at it again today and said it is healed but afraid it will come back and is referring me to a cornea specialist. Any ideas? What is the difference between a scratch and a defect?
Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

The difference between a scratch (corneal abrasion) and a defect, is that the corneal abrasion is a one time occurence with no future sequelae. A defect, refers to a problem with the outer layer of the cornea (epithelium) that causes this layer to not properly anchor itself to the cornea once a corneal abrasion has occured. The problem with such a condition is that, often, upon awakening the eyes will be dry and the epithelium will adhere to the inside of the upper lid. As the eye first opens, the epithelium will come off causing pain, light sensitivity, redness and swelling of the lid.

The key to resolving this issue is proper lubrication for a minimum of 6 weeks. Artificial tears and antibiotic drops during the day and ointment at night to avoid the dryness that exhacerbates the condition. If this is not effective more invasive procedures can be undertaken.

The medical term for this condition is: Recurrent Corneal Erosion Syndrome.

In my opinion, a visit to a cornea specialist for close monitoring and proper treatment is the correct advice.

I hope this is helpful and that you feel better soon...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience: General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WOW! Thank you! That was awesome. I REALLY appreciate your knowledge and time.

Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome!!