Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

On 10/13/08 I was scheduled for tear duct surgery of right

On 10/13/08 I was scheduled for tear duct surgery of right eye...on several office visits prior the tear duct was irrigated with saline solution...the evening before surgery my rt. eye become infected with fever, red streaks down cheeks.. called dr. to delay surgery was told to come on to hosp. as planned and add'l antibotic was added (levequin (sp?) was already on cefelexin (sp?) 1000mg. Went to hospital and Dr. said was Cellulitis in rt. eye and surgery was needed to open pockets of infection and while was there could go ahead with insertion of tear duct plastic tube as original planned; but would need to do all this under gen. anthes. which was OK'd by anesth. Since the surgery my right eye does not close or involuntary blink unless I force it. The Dr. said may get better, may not. This is causing much problem with eye tearing constantly and not closing when I sleep. What can be done to help this situation as it is affecting my reading, driving, daily activities.   Please Help
Have they removed the silicone tube from your tear ducts?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, not yet , was suggested because of cellulitis of this eye (and 3 month later a recurrance of cellulitis in same eye that should just wait at least 6 mos. before going back in as may cause another recurrance of cellulitis. Bells palsey has been ruled out, also, mini-stroke ruled out. tks//va.
<p>I am an eye surgeon myself and was just wondering whether you have lagophthalmos associated with it or not. Another important thing to see is whether the Bell's phenomenon is intact or not otherwise there is risk of exposure keratopathy in your eye. I can only advise you to get yourself examined by an oculoplastic surgeon as he is the best person to take care of your current problems. You must use a lubricant eye drop.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank was an oculoplastic surgeon that performed the original surgery...have since seen dir. of Optm surgery at Baptist Hospital in Winston Salem, NC, USA, Dr. Yates. He said had only seen one other case in 27 yrs of surgery and was considered "incomplete blink"--is this the same thing as lagophthalomos (don't know that word meaning). He said cause may have been too much of nerve block and the fact that gen. anthes. was used instead of local...which he would have preferred. The nerve that controls the incomplete blink of eye is the lubricant for eye and I am using lub. drops as well as ointment at night....BUT, I would like to know if there is any other that I could do to speed up the healing process...I do blink my eyes about every 20 min. for about 10 times to help lubricate. Have you seen such as this before....if so what was your treatment?

Thanks so much for your response.

<p>Lagophthalmos in simple words means that on closing both the eyes the affected lid lags behind and there is incomplete closure. You could call it incomplte blink perhaps. I have never seen such a complication in tear duct surgery todate though I have done many myself. Could be due to nerve block by a drug. Then it may improve on it's own. Till that time continue using lubricant eye drop. Can't think of anything to hasten up the healing process.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive fedback will be appreciated</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you and continued good wishes as you help you gave was much NC, USA