BrainyDOc
BrainyDOc, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Significant experience in treating patients with eye disorders.

I had Botox and my upper eye lid is dropping. Please help

Customer Question

I had Botox and my upper eye lid is dropping. Please help me. I went back to my Physician and he check me for nerve damage not related to the injection and gave me a prescription for alphagan. It did not work. Please help me. I'll do anything. I have people who are laughing and looking at me strange. This is not what I planned for the summer.
Category: Eye
Expert:  BrainyDOc replied 5 years ago.

Transient drooping of both or either eyelid occurs in approximatley 1 to 2 percent of cases. This happens because of local spreading of the toxin at the site of the injection. This can be prevented by accurate dosing and injjection of the correct injection site. Another mistake that is made sometimes is that the patient is not kept upright for a 4 to hours after the injection. Once the eye lid droop occurs, it will take approximately two weeks to resolve. In the meantime, there a few type of eye preparations can be helpful. The first is one called apraclonidine 0.5 %. You should place one or two drops in the affected eye 3 times per day until the ptosis resolves.

Another agent that can be used is brimonidine (0.1 or 0.2%) and neosynephrine hydrochloride (2.5 %). These medications work by counter acting the effects of the botox and increasing muscle tone. It should be noted that patients with narrow angle glaucoma and/or aneurysms should not use neosynephrine.

All of these medications are by presciption only. As such you will have to visit an opthalmologist or optometrist to obtain a prescription. In the meantime, I suggest that you patch the eye and/or wear sunglasses if you feel uncomfortable being in public with the ptosis.

Expert:  BrainyDOc replied 5 years ago.

Alphagan is brimonidione. If you have tried this medication then you consider adding neosynephrine 2.5%. Still yet another medication to try is apraclonidine 0.5%. You should note that there is not medication that will give you immediate effect as Botox is a neurotoxin and it will take time for it wear off. Unfortunately there are no instant cures to this matter.