Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

About 3 months ago I had Catarak surgery in my right eye.

About 3 months ago I had Catarak surgery in my right eye. About 1 week after that I developed Macular Degeneration in that eye. Eveyone says that MD and catarak are completely different.
It really doesn't bother me to only see out of my left eye, but my concern and fear is that it can happen again to my left eye.
If that happens I will not be able to read or drive or watch tv.
I am taking pills with LUTIN from basch and Lamb every day and also use eye drops because my eye's tear alot.
I went to the Bascom Palmer eye institute in Miami and they said don't do anything as far as injections or lasser in the MD eye, but I never got a chance to ask them about the other eye.
What are my chances of getting MD in the other eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.
<p>Since you have macular degeneration in the right eye, you are more prone to macular degeneration in the left eye than general population. It is difficult to say what percentage. You are being given anti-oxidants pills which is fine. At present I do not think you have any degeneration in the left eye and so no other intervention like laser or anti-VEGF injections are required. But you need to be cautious about your left eye. Probably a scar has formed in the right eye so the doctors have not advised for any intervention. Macular degeneration is not related to cataract surgery.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive fedback will be appreciated</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it not related why did it happen right after the cataract surgery?
The MD in the right eye is where I have perifial vision but there is a Black large dot in the exact center if the eye.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 5 years ago.
<p>Black dot in the centre is due to macular pathology. When you had cataract you did not notice it since you had diminished vision at that time. Now, the periphery is clear and you are able to appreciate the dark spot in the centre.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive fedback will be appreciated</p>
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED