Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

For a week my right eye has been hurting and tearing a lot.

Customer Question

For a week my right eye has been hurting and tearing a lot. It hurts to the touch towards the tear duct. Today I have been getting strong headaches
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Are you having sinus problems at this time? Is there any pus or matter coming out?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a little sinus pressure on the outside of the tear duct and underneath. no discharge, just tearing.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you have dacryocystitis (infection of the tear drainage duct). Usually this is a spread from a sinus infection. When there is an infection, the tear drainage duct gets clogged and starts tearing. Warm compresses may help until you can get some antibiotics.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been soaking my eye and doing an eye wash. Nothing has changed, and now I have the most nagging headache, just on my right side.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

The eyewash probably won't do anything. Warm compresses right over the tender area near the tear drainage duct will help some. But you really need some antibiotics. OTC antihistamines may help some also.