Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

swollen eye for more than 3mos. intermittent pain,discharge

swollen eye for more than 3mos. intermittent pain,discharge and light sensitivity. cxr,labs,ct all normal. prednisone drops no help. what next?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
How old are you?
Do you have diminution of vision as well?
Have you seen an ophthalmologist yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am 45yo. i have seen an opthalmologist, he too is at a loss for answers, i have been referred to another doctor at emory in atlanta. vision has remained the same.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Could you tell me the opinion of that ophthalmologist as that could be very helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

After 4-5 appts, labs and tests he had no opinion. he literally scatched his head and said he did not have a clue. he mentioned a disease/disorder dacryitis(not sure of the spelling). the last appt he said he cannot do anything else and referred me to emory

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
I was also thinking of chronic dacryocystitis. To confirm it syringing of the lacrimal apparatus has to be done. I am sure he would have done that. Could you tell me the findings of that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that was not done
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Your symptoms could very well be explained by chronic dacryocystitis. I don't understand what your ophthalmologist was confused as it is a very simple diagnosis. You can easily confirm it by doing syringing of the lacrimal apparatus.
The tears produced in your eyes drain into the nose through the lacrimal apparatus. In chronic dacryocystitis, there occurs a block in the lacimal apparatus and tears can not flow into the nose. Due to stasis of tears in the lacrimal sac, infection takes place and there is discharge present in the eyes. If you press at the medial end of the eye, the discharge comes into the eye. There are exacerbations of infection during which there is swelling, pain and redness in the eye and area surrounding it.
It can be confirmed by a syringing test. The treatment involves a surgery known as dacryocystorhinostomy. But first it has to be confirmed by syringing.

Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated