Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

dark cirles under my eyes and it is not a result of lack of sleep.

Customer Question

I have dark cirles under my eyes and it is not a result of lack of sleep. What is the cause and treatment?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
<p>They could be genetic. I am an eye surgeon myself. Not much is known about the etiology. It is due degenerative changes in the sub-cutaneous tissues. If your skin is dry you can massage that area with a moisturizing cream. If they trouble you a lot, you could go to an oculoplastic surgeon. He could help you.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be apprecitaed</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am aware that it is genetic as my mother has this as well. My skin is not dry, if anything it is oilly. I have tried various creams with no success. How can an oculoplastic surgeon help? I agree that not much is known about this since I have asked numerous doctors of various specialties about this and no real answer or solution is ever given. Please try to give a more concreate answer. I know difficult question
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
An oculoplastic surgeon is an ophthalmologist who specializes in diseases of lids and orbits. He can be the best person to go to. He is likely to be aware of the most recent things in this area and may suggest you some surgical options.

Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there an opthalmologist on your panel of doctors trhat can provide more specific detail?
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

I am an ophthalmologist also. Maybe I can help you.

You are correct in that lack of sleep is a very rare and temporary cause of dark under eyes. Most causes are from malnutrition, allergies, and hyperpigmentation. However, the most common cause is from leaking of small blood vessels just under the skin. In essence, it is like a bruise (a persistent one).

Treatment depends on the cause (i.e. malnutrition requires vitamin supplements, allergies require treatment, lack of sleed requires sleep, etc.). As far as the hyperpigmentation, there are a variety of lightening creams and makeup. Chemical peels and dermabrasion have been tried as well. For the blood vessels, lasers and filler injections may help.

Hope this helps and thank you.