Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

i have been to a and e this morning i have scratched cornea

Customer Question

i have been to a and e this morning i have scratched cornea and there is infection they have given me a patch and some chloramphenical,and just said take ibroprufen i am still in pain what painkillers can i take to help its driving me mad
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your corneal abrasion. This can be a very painful condition. Fortunately, the healing tends to occur within 24 to 48 hours. When infected recovery may take somewhat longer.

To manage the pain, I suggest you increase the dosage of ibuprofen to 800 mg every 8 hours if necessary. Also, place a towel soaked in ice cold water over the affected eye. This will offer significant relief from the pain. It is important to remember that you should not rub the eye, this will only worsen the symptoms and delay your healing. If you can keep the eye closed, this will help to heal faster. Blinking also has the tedency to delay healing.

I hope this is helpful and that you feel better soon...