Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

I have a noticably whiter spot on the white part of my eye.

I have a noticably whiter spot on the white part of my eye. I also have a sensation of roughness, or something in that area. What could that be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Can you give some additional information?

1. How old are you? Gender?
2. Do you suffer from any medical conditions?
3. Are you taking any medications?
4. How long since you noticed this white spot?
5. Is it elevated?
6. Is it on the white part closer to the nose?
7. Do you suffer from any medical conditions?

These answers will help me better evaluate your case...

Dr. JLB
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a 42 y/o white female. I am not aware of any medical conditions. I was borderline high pressure about 2 years ago. Family history of diabetes type 2 and heart disease. That was the last time I could afford insurance so, honestly, I haven't been to the doctor. No meds. I actually noticed it today because I can physically feel it so perhaps it is elevated but not that I can see. I thought I had something in my eye (what on earth would be snow white I couldn't tell you) so I tried to take it out with my finger working with the eyelid. Then I went to the eyewash station, but no change. It's closer to the iris but not on. I thought I may last eye exam (also 2ish years ago) he said something about calcium deposits. I could be totally wrong-I should have paid closer attention. I'm sorry. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

The lesion you describe sounds like a calcified pinguecula. A pinguecula is a degeneration of the conjunctiva (the outer layer of the eye). This degeneration is commonly triggered by exposure to sunlight, dust and wind. The pinguecula often becomes elevated as fatty deposits accumulate in the area. In some cases, calcium can also accumulate on the surface of the lesion. This will give the lesion this snow white appearance.

Fortunately, pingueculae are harmless. Cosmetically they are undesirable and at times they can become inflammed and induce a foreign body sensation. The only way to be rid of this lesion is by surgical removal. If it becomes inflammed or the foreign body sensation is bothersome, I recommend a drop called Zaditor. Zaditor can be purchesed without a prescription. If the lesion continues to bother you then I recommend a visit to an ophthalmologist for evaluation. There is no substitute for a complete eye exam.

I hope this is helpful...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience: General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Annoying I can live with. And I know you are right about a complete eye exam. If it gets worse I will do that. I wish you were in Fort Lauderdale because I'd see you! Thank you also for the recommendation for the Zaditor. I will try that if the area becomes more bothersome.