Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

my three year old has an eye cyst since she was born. it has

my three year old has an eye cyst since she was born. it has gone from the size of a pencil tip to around the size of a dime and used to be what her docter called a floater but is now attached to the upper outer corner of her eye. Is this something i should be concerned about?Her odcter said when she was born it would need to be removed if it got bigger, but has not mentioned it since . The cycst has gotten bigger over the last year , and attached itself during the last year as well. my concern is eye damage, or possible cancer risks? would either of these be an actual concern?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

I want to clarify your question better. Where exactly is the cyst? Is it on the eyelid? Is it on the white of the eye? Can she see out of the eye?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is on the outer corner of her eye below her eyebrow
and yes she can see out of her eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

I have actually seen many of these. They are probably epithelial inclusion cysts. I have removed a few; and they actually come out pretty easily. Most are encapsulated and come out as a whole. I always get a CT first to make sure whether it is free or attached to the bone, etc. There would be no harm to the eye. As far as cancer, most are merely inclusion cyst; but the only way to know for sure is to remove it. They do have a tendency to grow with the child.

Hope this helps and thank you.