Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I am 63 and have glaucoma. Has OCT replaced computerised perimetry

I am 63 and have glaucoma. Has OCT replaced computerised perimetry in the treatment of glaucoma or should I have both?

Hello Dr. Gordon

the OCT is another modality in the detection of glaucoma. It is better used during initial diagnosis rather than following patients with glaucoma though it can be used in that manner as well. If someone has a thin NFL they are more likely to have glaucoma. You can have it repeated later and see if the nerve is thinnig more. This is more helpful when the visual field is still perfectly normal. In advanced glaucoma, OCT is not as sensitive as visual field changes in monitoring progrssion of glaucoma. Most ophthalmologists use both for monitoring patients. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX