Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

Why is my daughter getting headaches every day My daughter

Customer Question

Why is my daughter getting headaches every day?

My daughter is 12 and has been getting headaches where her temples are everyday 4 a year at times they can be so horrible she says its like she got hit on the head with a hammer like some one applies pressure then lets go then does it again she also said it feels like theres a heart beat in her head plus she hears a high pitched ringing noise that sometimes gets louder when she lays down and noone else can hear it shes young overweight around 30 pounds overweight she is active but cant be to long cause the headaches get worse same happens when the weather gets to hot sometimes it gets better when its cold shes gone to an eye doctor and was told she needed glasses she got them and noticed that before all of this she had 20/20 vision then it was lowered she also went to another doctor and prescribed 2 meds one for the headaches and one for pressure of her head they did a spinal tab thats how they discovered she had more liquid & pressure
Submitted: 7 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

It sounds like she was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri? Is that right? What is she taking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im not srue what she was diagnosed with her eye doctor did say she had a nerve that was swollen in one of her eyes she takes acetazolaminde 250mg tablet she takes 2 at night and 2 during the morning she also takes topamax 25mg tablet she takes 2 at night and 2 during the morning those she has to take but she stopped a month ago she also takes naproxen 500mg tablet when she has a very bad headache plus she used to take maxalt mlt 5mg tablet whicth she had to put under her tongue and let it dissolve but they it ran out and we didn't by anymore it did work a little she sayed it dulled some of the pain but it worked.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

It does sound like she has a condition called pseudotumor cerebri. This is where the pressure in your brain and spinal cord builds up. It causes headaches, ringing in ears, swollen optic nerve (which can lead to vision loss). It can be caused by such as congenital malformation, weight gain, menstrual irregularities, vitamin A, stopping steroids, some antibiotics. It can be treated medically with Diamox, Topamax, or Maxalt. I've seen one patient treated effectively with Ferrous Sulfate. Some have to have occasional spinal taps to drain out fluids. Some have to have an LP shunt to relieve the pressure permanently (that is a shunt from the brain to the abdomen.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry for the small amount of money i just lost my job recently and i would've paid you more but im very glad about this i appreciate this
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome. Good luck with your daughter and with your job situation.