Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

can sinus problems or stress cause increased pressure in my eyes

Sometimes when my sinuses are acting up I have a lot of pressure in my head and the same thing when I get stressed out. Can these things cause increased pressure in my eyes?

Fortunately, sinusitis and stress do not cause increased eye pressure. However, the sensation of increased eye pressure is very common in both of these situations. Let me explain:

In sinusitis, the congestion (fullness) around the eyes can give a heavy sensation, headaches and pain in and around the eyes. This doesn't represent an actual increase in intraocular pressure. The symptoms of sinusitis are worsened by head position. Placing the head below the level of the heart causes more discomfort. Treatment with antibiotics (I usually prescribe Augmentin 875 mg for 10 to 14 days) and decongestants tends to resolve the symptoms.

Stress can cause episodes of increased blood pressure which will exhacerbate the symptoms of sinusitis. Specifically the headaches and pressure sensation worsen. There are many ways to decrease stress (exercise, rest, massage therapy)... but I can understand how difficult this can be since life always has a way of getting to many of us.

If you are concerned about your eye pressure, I encourage you to visit an ophthalmologist that can take this measurement. This may provide some peace of mind. This doctor may also be useful in effectively treating the sinusitis.

Good luck as you deal with these uncomfortable symptoms amd I hope you feel better soon...