Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz
Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Glaucoma Specialist, Associate Professor FAU, Teaching Faculty Bascom Palmer Eye Institute

My eye Doctor says I have dry eyes, which has caused a penqeulme

My eye Doctor says I have dry eyes, which has caused a penqeulme?? I worked under an air conditioning vent for 12 years. Can this not be what caused my dry eye to begin with?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz replied 7 years ago.

A Pingeculae is a thickened, slightly raised and yellowish are, usually located at 3:00 or 9:00 on the white of the eye, the conjunctiva. This does not cause your dry eye, but it can cause feelings of foreign body sensation or irritation. It is usually caused by sun or UV exposure, or chronic irritation. Sometimes it can extend onto the cornea, in which case it is called a pterygium. It is not dangerous, nor malignant, and it is very common. Treatment is lubrication, by drops or ointments. If the area becomes inflamed, topical steroid drops can be used short term. This area is prone to dryness because it does not wet as easily with tears. It is not dangerous, you should not worry.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did working under the air conditioning vent for 12 years have anything to do with the dry eye? I have filed a workers compensation for the eye condition and just want to know if that is warranted.
My opinion is that it is not related to working under the AC vent. Many people have this condition who have never had any work or hobby related activity that involved excessive drafts or winds. It is extremely common. It is more likely related to UV exposure - just being outside! In fact, the incidence of pterygium goes up the closer you get to the equator.