Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

Does prednisone usage cause watery eyes. I have been on prednisone for ove

I am 66 years old and was diagnosed with temporal arteritis a year ago. I have been on prednisone ....up and down on the dosage with the ups and downs of my sed rate tests. My sed rate is now 35 and my Dr. has reduced the prednisone dosage to 10mg. one day and then, 7.5 mg. the next day. I will probably do this for two or three weeks and see how my sed rate reacts. My eyes are giving me fits. They are the rest of me...and watery to the point that they pour. It comes and goes, but I have the watering everyday. Is this prednisone doing this? Thanks so much for your response.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition. Temporal arteritis can be very difficult to manage. However, prednisone usually does not cause tearing. It can certainly cause swelling, including around the face.

There could be clogged tear drainage ducts that is causing your tearing. An ophthalmologist can test this very easily in the office for you.

As far as the prednisone, sometimes we can change to another medication such as Methotrexate or Imuran or Plaquenil to treat this in order to spare the steroids.

Hope this helps and thank you.