Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

I have been diagnosed with a cyst on the retina of my left

I have been diagnosed with a cyst on the retina of my left eye and now it appears to me that the same blurry vision symptoms are occuring in my right eye also. Is there anything that can be done to correct this problem? Thank you so much, Bob Richardson DOB 01/26/37 72 yo

Hello Mr. Richardson,

Retinal cysts can be dangerous. These may be the precursors to retinal detachments. If the vision is blurry, that is a clear indication that the ophthtalmologist should be seen as soon as possible. If the cyst expands to include the macula (area needed for clear vision) or if it is associated with a retinal hole then treatment is needed. This treatment may involve laser application to prevent a retinal detachment or actual surgery to reattach the retina, if it is already in the process of detaching.

There is no way to prevent cysts from occuring again in the future. Typically, they can only be managed once they appear.

Again, I recommend that you visit an ophthalmologist as soon as possible for a complete dilated eye exam.

I hope this helps...