Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am from srael. i am 31 and i

hello,
my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am from srael. i am 31 and i wear glasses since the age of 6. for the last three years i suffer from convergence insufficency as a result of car accident that i was involved in. i work with computer for 10 and more hours a day. At the end of the working day i get extremlly tired, i feel dizzy an sick. it is hard for me to concentrate at the end of the day. i have no energy. here in Israel there is no clinical treatment for this problem.
how can i deal with these simptoms? is there any distant treatment that i can get mayby from US?
i am frustrated.
thank you in advance.
Raya
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 7 years ago.

Hi Raya,

Convergence insufficiency usually stems from a weakness in the muscles (medial recti) that bring the eyes slightly inward in order to read. Patients with this problem will often complain of double vision, blurry vision and headaches.

The best treatment options are relatively simple to achieve. First, I recommend that you do exercises for the medial recti (pencil push-ups). Hold a pen or pencil about 1 foot away from your nose. While looking at the tip of the pen, bring it in towards the nose without allowing the tip to become double. Once you see that the image becomes double, work very hard to make it single and hold for as long as possible. Once you become fatigued (usually in 10 to 15 seconds), rest for about 10 seconds and perform exercise again. Continue to do this for about 10 minutes, 2 to 3 times per day. At first, this exercise will be difficult, but as the muscles become stronger it will be easier and you will be able to bring the pencil closer to your nose before it becomes double.

The other treatment would be a pair of reading glasses to help take the strain off your eyes as you work in front of the computer or reading. The reading glasses should be prescribed by an ophthalmologist.

I hope this is helpful...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB