Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

Yesterday while working on the computer I noticed what looks

Yesterday while working on the computer I noticed what looks like tangled hair out of my right eye. What could have caused this and is it serious? I have had floaters in the past but they only lasted a few seconds. This particular floater is almost at 24 hours. Thank you in advance for your help.
Kim Jordan
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 7 years ago.

Hi Kim,

Floaters can appear and remain noticeable for long periods of time. This usually occurs as the vitreous (the jelly that fills the eye) becomes degenerated. This is usually a harmless process, although the floaters can be somewhat disturbing to the vision.

Rarely, as the vitreous degenerates, it can create a retinal tear (the retina is the back of the eye). Retinal tears can lead to retinal detachments, which can threaten the vision.

It is important to know the symptoms of a retinal detachment so that you may visit an ophthalmologist if they occur.

1. Photopsias - these are flashes of light in the peripheral vision that occur as the vitreous exerts traction on the retina prior to a retinal tear.

2. Increased amount of floaters - if the number of floaters increases dramatically. For example, suddenly going from 1 floater to 20 floaters.

3. If a sensation of a curtain falling over the eyes occurs (blurrying of vision).

I would like to emphasize that retinal detachments are rare while floaters and even photopsias are pretty common. I just think it is important that you visit an eye doctor immediately if any of the above occur.

I hope this is helpful...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB