Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Ive always been nearsighted, but suddenly my left eye has

I've always been nearsighted, but suddenly my left eye has become farsighted with a severe astigmatism. There has been no injury or disease, so what could be the cause?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

such a shift in the refractive properties of the eye can only be due to corneal disorders (which are very very rare) or due to irregularities in your lens in the eye. Sometimes the lens can shift or move, especially in folks with some predisposing eye condition such that the lens refracts in a different manner and causes the change in refraction. It could also be a cataract that has formed that is causing this. You need a thorough dilated exam with an ophthalmologist who can check the cornea and its curvature and then examine the lens for opacity or movement, Regards XXXXX XXXXX