Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

lens implants 3 years ago to correct myopaeia

I had lens implants 3 years ago to correct myopaeia, and now have been told that membranes have grown. Would this have been caused by the implants, and if I have them removed with lasers, could they grow again?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

hello there

you are referring to something called PCO, posterior capsule opacity, which is a scar behind the intra-ocular implant. This is fairly common and occurs about 1 in 4 patients after surgery. This happens when our body heals and causes a scar to form behind the implant. In office laser which carries a rare risk of retinal detachment cures this and is permanent. The PCO can occur irregardless of how good the surgery or surgeon performance during the surgery, Regards XXXXX