Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

I am 38 years old and have been suffering from chronic red

I am 38 years old and have been suffering from chronic red eyes. I have been using clear eyes for about 20 years and really want to stop, have tried, but I cant put up with blood shot eyes, as I have to go to work, as a typist, so I am in front of a screen all day too. Can you please tell me if there is a treatment for this?

HiCustomer

Unfortunately, drops such as clear eyes and visine, contain a product that causes constriction of the blood vessels on the surface of the eye. These blood vessels then dilate "looking" for more of the medication.

There is no short term solution to this redness. It can be resolved over time with proven anti-inflammatory medication and consistent cool compresses over the eyes. I often prescribe a drop by the name of Lotemax, 4 times per day, to manage this situation. I also tell my patients to use a towel soaked in ice cold water to drape over the eyes in order to decrease redness, inflammation and discomfort. In addition, using preservative free artificial tears can be quite helpful. Of course, clear eyes must be discontinued completely while treating in this manner. It is difficult to tell how long until the treatment is effective, as it varies greatly between patients.

Cosmetically, your eyes will look red; however, in the long term it is best to treat them in this fashion and the redness should subside. Lotemax does require a prescription and you should be followed by an ophthalmologist that can monitor the progress.

I hope this is helpful....

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB