Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

My daughter is suffering with iritis and has for the past couple

My daughter is suffering with iritis and has for the past couple of years...It comes and goes..She is being treated with steroid eyedrops...Which sometimes do not help..Is there any other treatment available....Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Steroid eyedrops is the first line of treatment. Sometimes, we have to inject steroids around the eye. Sometimes, we inject steroids straight into the eye as well. Then there are systemic medications that can be used.

The bigger question is why her iritis is recurring. I am assuming that she has undergone a thorough workup for underlying causes of recurrent iritis (blood tests, Xray, and if indicated biopsy and culture of the fluid in the eye).

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hullo Dr Chan,
Thank you for that information...She has had the blood tests etc...but not sure about the biopsy or culture of the fliud of the eye...May I have more time to ask her..As I don,t see her everyday...Re the different medications for this ailment..Are there more options...

Thank you....Customer
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

If there is an underlying systemic problem, then there are medications such as Imuran, Plaquenil, or Metrotrexate that can also be used. Let me know what she says.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr Chan,
Saw her today..she said she has had all the blood tests...She is not keen on oral medication because of the side effects...I guess thats all that can be done thank you....Customer