Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My eyes are burning and watering, and the retinas seem swollen

Customer Question

My eyes are burning and watering, and the retinas seem swollen and gooey.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 4 years ago.

Hello there

what is your age? How long has this been an issue? Do you wear contacts? What brought this on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am 49. This started a few days ago when the inside corners of both eyes were very irritated and the tear ducts seemed a bit swollen. I removed my contacts and have been wearing my glasses ever since. I thought it was getting better so I did not go to the eye doctor today, but tonight is pretty bad. It is as if the retinas themselves have become infected and gel-like, and are sagging - too big for the eye sockets, if that makes sense. Any ideas?

Hello there

my main suspicion is that your contact lens use is causing your symptoms. It is quite possible that you are overusing your contacts and this has lead to surface irritation on your corneas. My best suggestion is to use something called Refresh Celluvisc every hour in each eye as well as Refresh PM ointment at bedtime. The Celluvisc is a very soothing natural tear and will help greatly. My suggestion is that you can give that tomorrow to help (keep contacts out) and if it is not any better, get in with an ophthalmologist as you may be getting an infection, Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I am beyond getting an infection. I am sure the contacts are the culprit. My concern is should I seek emergency treatment?

hello there

in an ER setting, most of the time, the ER docs will probably think you have an infection and prescribe an antibiotic. I would think going to a 24 hour walmart and picking up Celluvisc may be your better bet. The decision is ultimately up to you, but unless one eye is significantly worse than the other or the vision in one eye is affected, you probably dont have any sight threatening pathology, Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't mean to keep you, but you don't thinks that swollen retinas that hang over my lower eye lids in a jelly like manner IS an infection that needs an antibiotic? My eyes hurt, burn and are tearing. Is this something you are unfamiliar with? It is rather bizarre and disturbing looking. I tried eye drops - Renue tears or something - already. Think this can wait until the morning and make an appointment with my eye doctor? It is very uncomfortable.

Hello there

the swelling you are referring to is on your conjunctiva and most often this is a sign of ocular allergies, Is there significant itching? By the way, the retinas are in the back of the eye, inside the eyeball.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I stand corrected. The itching has begun to calm down, but again, the inside corners are still itching. They are weeping. It honestly feels like my eyes are melting and that part of the "conjunctiva" will just wipe away. There is some pain when I blink. The excess "conjunctiva" is somewhat cloudy, and my eyes are red. Nice, huh?

Ithcing and swelling in the conjunctiva points to an allergy. Immediate relief can be had with cool compresses (cold washcloth soaked in ice cold water) over your closed eyelids. A dose of benadryl and an eye drop called Zaditor can help calm the symptoms. If you feel more comfortable, you can go to an ER as it is extremely difficult determining what you have given the limitations of this forum. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try the cold compress, thank you for your advice. I will call my eye doctor for an appointment in the morning.
Great, you can keep me posted Regards