Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

My 6 lb, 3 1/2 year old male Chihuahua Eddie is suddenly showing

My 6 lb, 3 1/2 year old male Chihuahua Eddie is suddenly showing a couple small warts on the edge of the right eye lid. I know humans have this same type affliction/malady. Is this normal, or should I have the Vet examine him. He was just in to see the Vet 2 weeks ago on something unrelated, and they weren't noticeable then. Help

Wart-like lesions on the eyelids are often caused by particular strains of the papilloma virus (PV), in humans (HPV). For the most part, these are not dangerous although they can be contagious from dog to dog.

The strains of PV that cause these warts are different for humans and dogs; therefore, these are not contagious from dog to human or vice-versa.

As mentioned above, these warts are not dangerous, but a visit to the vet may be helpful. The vet may be able to provide topical treatment to remove these. Treating these lesions may be difficult due to the proximity to the eye. Occasionally, surgical removal is required.

I hope this is helpful...

I would like to add, that these warts often go away on their own as the dog develops an immune response to the virus. If you would like to observe and see how the warts evolve that should be ok. Although, a visit to the vet may definitely be helpful in making these disappear faster.