Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I just had an episode where I experienced a strobe effect in

Customer Question

I just had an episode where I experienced a strobe effect in my vision. It was in both eyes and started as a small sort of strobing area in my field of vision and gradually became larger until it covered my whole field of vision. The episode continued for about 15 minutes. I also had a similar experience about 4 months ago. Does this sound like something I should get immediate medical attention for and if so should I see an opthamologist or a neurologist?

Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Do you see any black things floating in your vision? How is your vision? Do you have a headache with it? What other medical conditions do you have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There were no black things floating in my vision. My vision now has returned to normal (the episode happened about 3 hours ago and only lasted 15 minutes. I had a very, very slight headache after the episode that lasted for 30 minutes or so. I have no other medical conditions. I am a 58 year old male.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you are having some migraine episodes. These usually start with flashing in the periphery. Some people even lose part of their vision (as if you were having a stroke). It usually lasts 15-20 minutes. These may or may not be followed by a headache. If its just the visual symptoms, it's called ocular migraines. They are caused by spasms of blood vessels just like classic migraines. They are also treated the same way. It wouldn't hurt to see an eye doctor to make sure your eyes are OK. But a general internist should be able to treat your migraines.

Hope this helps and thank you.