Brad Schuster
Brad Schuster, Board Certified Opthamologist
Experience:  Glaucoma Specialist

i just recently hurt my back at work and got a migraine that

Customer Question

i just recently hurt my back at work and got a migraine that made me want to throw up , and on my way home my right eye kept getting "fuzzy" and then when i got home i noticed a blood spot on my eye , and after taking pictures of both of my eyes i noticed i have a huge blood vessel thats bent , what could it be? ( im 20 years old , female)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

The blood spot is probably a busted blood vessel caused from straining (your nausea). It is common to have large blood vessels flowing through the white part of your eye. You just had not noticed it before. It was just more dilated from the migraine and the nausea.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Expert:  Brad Schuster replied 7 years ago.
I suspect your "blood spot" may be a small subconjunctival hemorrage. This is not dangerous and usually goes away in a few days to weeks. It does not cause decreased vision. Often migraines can lead to odd visual phenomena that last for about 20 minutes or so. This would be unrelated to the blood spot. The dilated blood vessel you spotted when you looked closely may well be a normal vessel that is slightly enlarged because of some minor irritation. If you never noticed it before and it continues to be abnormal looking to you, then an optometrist or ophthalmologist can look at it and tell you if it is normal or not.