Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

Hello, My question is. One month ago I had surgery (vitrectomy)

My question is. One month ago I had surgery (vitrectomy) done in one eye. This was to remove heavy 'floaters' in my vitreous (hope I use the right word).

A gas-bubble was placed to support the retina. I was told the gas-bubble would be gone within two weeks. But now one month later there's still a small but very darkblack ring dancing around in my eye, with a white center as left over from the bubble.
It's behaving like a 'floater' and does not get any smaller.
The surgeon says just have patience and it will dissolve.
But it makes me nervous because it moves around all the time and I am afraid it will not dissapear.
What is your opinion?

Best regards,
Philip
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Two weeks was a very conservative estimate for the gas bubble. I have seen gas bubbles last as long as 6 weeks or 2 months out. Also, did the surgeon say that what you see is the bubble? Could it be a leftover floater?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dr. Chan,

Thank you very much for your answer. I will accept and pay.

I think I just have to have patience. It's because the black ring does not get any smaller that I get worried.

I did not see the surgeon since the operation because it was done in Belgium (very far from where I live) and the next appointment is July 2nd. We had contact via e-mail, as I described what I experienced

I think it is the bubble because.

1) it has the same clear white center that the bubble had form the beginning.

2) It is totally different from the floaters I had. This dark black ring I have never seen before the operation.

Do you agree?

Thank you again and best regards,

Philip

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

You know your body better than anyone. It sounds like the bubble. The bubble will be absorbed completely in time.

Good luck.

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology