Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My left eye frequently waters to a point of it running down

My left eye frequently waters to a point of it running down my face and this has been going on for more than two years. I went to Opthalmologist who does not seem to find anything wrong. It can be very frustrating trying to work at computer and stopping to wipe face over & over. I am female and age 53. Any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

hello there

did the ophthalmologist do any tear duct testing to see if there is a blockage? is there any foreign body sensation in the eye?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There is no foreign body sensation.......I have no idea about the tear duct testing you mentioned. She put drops in, I sat a dark room and then she further examined...that is all I know.

Hello there

from the sounds of it, I am thinking you have a nasolacrimal duct obstruction on the one side. There is a tear duct that takes our tears away from the eye to the nose / back of the throat. This is why people blow their nose when they cry, all those tears go into the nose. The tear duct can sometimes develop a blockage and this is what I think you have. It can be tested in the office pretty quickly. We take a little blunt probe and canula and flush some fluid in the lower eyelid opening and you simply see if the fluid goes to the nose. This is a common office test and is quick and the definitive test for tearing. If you dont remember this occuring, you should be tested for a blocked tear duct by an ophthalmologist, I hope this helps,. Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks,,,,,,,,that sounds logical........What type of treatment would be expected?

If you have a blockage, The fix is a surgery called a DCR, dacrocystorhinostomy. It is an outpatient procedure, and very succesful. Regards XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hummmm............the doctor made the comment, "good news, you do not need surgery", I wonder if she ruled that out? It is not painful, but very annoying.

Hello there

if she did not use what looked like a little needle and squirt fluid in your lower eyelid punctum, she did not do definitive testing. She may have done some other test where she checked the time period for the dye to disappear or see if the dye was in your nasal tissue but these are not as reliable as what I referred to which is Probing and irrigation (more often simple irrigation) Regards