Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

my eyes get highly irritated..all the white part gets extremely red

Customer Question

i've worn contacts for about 15 yrs, but lately when ever i put contacts my eyes get highly irritated. all the white part gets extremely red and vainy. any advice?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

what is your age? do you eyes ever tear or run ? how long can you wear the lenses before they irritate?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 40. and usually i can go a whole day using my contacts but now if i keep them on for about 3 hrs my eyes start getting irritated and my eye begins to hurt. When i take them off my eye remains red for a couple of days. I let my eyes rest for about 4 days and then i try using my contacts again and the samething happens. Help!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

last night I could not sleep well because my eye was hurting and this morning i can't open my eye because it is extremely sensitive to light. it is very red and swollen. help.

Hello there

I am sorry you had a rough night. I am sure you are making fewer tears than you should be due to wearing contacts for such a long time frame (15 years). You need to have the tear production tested and if need be, you can be given something called Restasis as a prescription and this will help with your tear production and allow you to use contacts more comfortably. You will need to reduce the time frame for their use as well, say 8-10 hours a day at most. Now the eye that is light sensitive probably developed a small corneal ulcer (infection) or an abrasion (scratch) and this needs to be evaluated today and antibiotics need to be considered, dont hesitate and please do have it checked today, Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to see my eye doctor and he said i had a corneal infection, he prescribed polytrim. Thank you for your help.
I am glad you sought medical care, this can lead to serious problems if not treated promptly. Regards XXXXX