Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Ive suffered an eye trauma, which happened..right eye..tear-duct

Customer Question

I've suffered an eye trauma, which happened when I opened an oven door and a jet of heat hit my right eye. Because I was in denial at the time and I did not seek treatment at the time the eye has not healed fully.

One problem concerns my tear-duct, it's been diagnosed as blocked, but when exposed to heat such that you may find when in a kitchen or maybe even harsh lighting it does cause me quite some discomfort. Although it sounds funny I am also wary of PC laptops, they also affect my tear-duct

Especially at work where the ceiling is quite low and the lighting is harsh. I look forward to any help you may be able to offer.

Regards

S Patel
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

how do the lights and heat cause discomfort or bother you? Do you have tearing ? How is the eye and the vision in it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dr Stevens,

From a vision point of view I don't have any problems, but from a structural point, when exposed to heat my right eye does feel dry and it's appearance is notably different to my left eye which is healthy in that the whites of the eye turn red.

In relation to the tear-duct when I've injured it and I'm at work I do experience quite a bit of pain and when looking at it in a mirror the tear-duct looks red and mis-shaped when compared to my left tear-duct as if it is deflated somewhat.

Hello there

I think you need to consider surgical repair of the tear duct, this should help restore proper function, reduce the discomfort and redness on the eyeball. In the meanwhile, if you have not decided on this or it is not an option yet, you may ask your eye doctor for some anti-inflammatory medicine, like maxitrol ophthalmic solution and this will help reduce the discomfort and redness that is there due to inflammation form your injury, Regards XXXXX

Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank-you for your prompt feedback, I wasn't entirely sure if there was any form of treatment for my injury. Can you tell me how long it takes to recover from this particular type or surgery ?

I was wondering, I'm not entirely sure if you're based in the U.K, but if you are is the solution you're prescribing available from a chemists ?

Sunil

Hello there

if you have a malfunctioning tear duct, a DCR (dacrocystorhinostomy) surgery or a Jones tube procedure can be helpful. This takes careful evaluation and consideration but either is an outpatient procedure. As for the medicine, in the US, it is a prescription medicine and may be as well in the UK but it would be available at most chemists. Regards XXXXX