Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

I have a reddish brown spot just on the outside of the colored

I have a reddish brown spot just on the outside of the colored part of my eye. It is irritating like there is something in my eye. Also there seems to be a couple small sore type things on my eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Can you give me a little more information?

1. Your age and gender?

2. How long has it been there?

3. Do you work outside or indoors?

4. Is it on the outside of the Iris (colored part of the eye) closer to the nose or on the opposite side?

5. Are you light sensitive?

6. Is your vision blurry?

This will help me evaluate your case better...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

29 m

just noticed it 2 days ago

i work indoors and outdoors but i have not been at work for about a month on leave

outside of the iris close to the nose...feels like something is in it

not light sensitive

no blurred vision just a slight burning sensation when i close my eyelid over it

Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

The lesion you describe sounds like an episcleritis. This episcleritis is most likely located adjacent to a pinguecula. A pinguecula is an elevated area on the conjunctiva (the outer layer of the eye) next to the cornea and iris. Pingueculae are most often seen in the area you describe.

Episcleritis is an inflammation that usually has no long term consequences and if left untreated will usually resolve on its own over 7 to 10 days. Anti-inflammatory drops can usually provide some comfort and help recover a bit faster. Exposure to wind, dust and sun can exhacerbate the condition. I recommend wearing sunglasses full-time, but especially at this time.

Anti-inflammatory drops like Alrex or Lotemax can be obtained with a prescription. Frankly, there are no good over the counter drops to help in this setting. I would advice against drops such as Visine. Visine will take the red out but the red will come back looking for more Visine. Ultimately, the eye can become "addicted" to this drop.

If you are able to obtain a complete eye exam, I would recommend this. There is no substitute for having an expert look at the eye for a correct diagnosis and proper management. Given your history, I do suspect you are suffering from what I have described above. If you will not be seeing an ophthalmologist until next week, I suggest using artificial tears (over the counter) and placing cool compresses over the eye for comfort.

I hope this is helpful...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB