Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

Is cataract surg safe with -19 high myopia and long axis

I am 55 and have poor eyesight since 5 and worn contacts but now have cataracts. The MD is discouraging me and giving the worse news about complications. She said I have a risk for bleeding and I am scared but still planning to have surgery. What is your opinion?

Certainly with that long an axis, you are at higher risk for retinal detachment. But even if you didn't have surgery, you are still at higher risk for retinal detachment and myopic degeneration (a form of macular degeneration). If you are to have surgery, you should not have a retrobulbar block (due to the long axis) but should have it done under topical anesthetic.

The way I look at it is that, with a -19 eye, your quality of vision can't be that great anyways. If you can improve that with surgery, I would take it (even with the slight risk).

Hope this helps and good luck.