Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I had cateract surgery in my loft eye on May 20. I have had

I had cateract surgery in my loft eye on May 20. I have had a large floater or several floaters every since. My vision seems to be still blurry. I was awaken tonight by a pain in my left eye and it was somewhat watery when I woke up. It seems when I close my good eye(right), I see a light green patch or cloud of something that runs vertically and fills up the right side of my left eye and seems to move to the right in small increments untill it totally disappears. Last night night I began to see several lightening flashes that run vertically on and off. this happened 5 or six times. Is this a sign of detached retina? If so, how long do I have before I should see a retina specialist. Is this a medical emergency where I should contact someone tonight.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. Did your surgeon tell you if he had any difficulty or complications during the procedure?

Anytime a patient reports new floaters or new flashing lights, we always have them come in to check the retina. Mostly likely it is not, but the symptoms are the same as that of a retinal detachment. I don't think you have to be seen tonight, but certainly tomorrow (or at the latest the next day).