Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I have had retina problems in the past (a detached retina)

I have had retina problems in the past (a detached retina) and also a surgery to remove black dots from my vision. Recently I have been seeing dots, but this time they are white with a black ring around them, not totally black. Is this cause for concern?

Do these dots float around like the old ones? Do you see any flashing lights? Do you see any shadow across your vision? Is your vision changed in that eye?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, these dots do float like the others. I do not see any flashing lights nor do I see shadows. I have not noticed any changes in vision. These new dots do not occur as frequently as the others, and because they are more whitish they do not interfere like the others did.

This is a new symptom for me and I just didn't know if it was worth making a big deal out of it. I wasn't sure if I needed to call my doctor since at the moment the dots are gone.

Thank you for your reply.

Anytime you have new symptoms, it would be advisable to evaluate the retina to make sure that it is OK. These are floaters, just like the old ones (even though they look different). However, with the current symptoms you have, I don't think that there is any urgency to being seen. If you notice flashing lights or shadows over your vision, that would be an emergency.

I would just mention it to your eye doctor at the next visit.