Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

Hello. Ive had conjunctivitus off and on since March 2009.

Hello. I've had conjunctivitus off and on since March 2009. I have seen eye doctors and nurse practioners six times. The last doctor that examined my eyes said that there is nothing wrong with my cornea, and said that I should call him to let him know the status of my eye irritation. I use hot compresses and had been on Eythromicin eye gel and drops. This redness, irritation and a bit of pain in my left eye has still come back, despite changing pillowcases, washing my hands and face with antibacterial soap, etc. My left eye is a bit smaller than it used to be. I'm scared and cannot get an appointment with any doctor until Tuesday June 9th. Please help.

Thank you!
Tina Treece [email protected]

Hi Tina,

It appears that you have been treated for a blepharoconjunctivitis, not a viral conjunctivitis (pink eye). Blepharoconjunctivitis is not contagious, so you don't have to worry so much about changing pillowcases, etc.

Blepharoconjunctivitis is an inflammation of the eyelids as well as the eyes themselves. The hot compresses can be helpful as well as the erythromycin ointment; however, I would recommend a new stratergy:

1. Neopolydex ointment - this is a combination of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. (tends to work better than antibiotic alone). You do need a prescription for this ointment

2. Wash eyelids at the base of the lashes with Johnson's baby shampoo twice per day. (better alternative than antibacterial soap). This allows better cleaning without irritating the eyes. Do this with a soft cloth, lather-up the shampoo and perform a gentle scrubing at the base of the lashes where they enter the lids.

3. Preservative free artificial tears throughout the day, as needed.

4. Do not rub the eyes. If they itch or burn, apply cool compresses over them (not hot). This will improve the symptoms without the trauma of rubbing.

If you are very concerned, you should ask the eye doctor to see you as an emergency, without an appointment. There is no substitute for an immediate complete eye exam.

I hope this is helpful and good luck....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you and I am encouraged by your advice.
I am glad I could help.