Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

On the 20th of May Ihad what i thought was conjunctivitis eyes

On the 20th of May Ihad what i thought was conjunctivitis eyes sticking together in morning applied chloramphenicol drops for 6 days.However only the morning stickiness cleared it is painful to watch television, use computer or read. I have dry eye use gel tears,sometimes it s
eems that they don`t clear up the dryness. I cannott get about much can you help please.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 7 years ago.

Conjunctivitis in adults is usually viral (95% of the time). Chloramphenicol only treats and prevents bacterial conjunctivitis. Viral conjunctivitis usually clears within 10 to 14 days without any treatment. Usually, antibiotics are prescribed with the purpose of preventing a bacterial superinfection. Artificial tears are also recommended, but only for comfort.

At this pont, it has been 15 days since the onset of your symptoms. Fortunately, the eyes are no longer sticking together. This proves that the acute infection has resolved. The inflammation may still be present because such an infection can exacerbate dry eyes.

Dry eyes is also an inflammatory condition. Usually dry eyes leads to inflammation which leads back to dry eyes. One can place artificial tears all day long, if the inflammation is not addressed the dry eye will never be resolved. When an infection occurs, it contributes to the overall inflammation and only makes the dry eyes worse. For patients in your situation I recommend the following protocol:

1. Restasis twice per day

2. Lotemax 4 times per day for 2 weeks; 3 times per day for 1 week; 2 times per day for 1 week; 1 time per day for 1 week; every other day for 1 week

3. Preservative free artificial tears as needed

4. Genteal gel at night

5. Oral supplements (Omega 3, 6, 9 Vitamin A, E)

In addition, I recommend drinking 1 to 2 liters of water per day. Decreasing caffeine and alcohol intake as these tend to cause mild dehydration. I know the above is a lot to do, but those patients that follow this protocol tend to feel significantly better. Restasis and Lotemax address the inflammation that leads to dry eyes. These require a prescription from an ophthalmologist for purchase.

Again, I believe that a viral conjunctivitis has significantly exhacerbated your dry eye condition. If the dry eyes are properly managed you will feel significant improvement.

I hope this is helpful...