Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

my eye is red and my eye lids are swollen. my eye are watter

My eye is red and my eyelids are swollen. My eye is watering and this has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I went to a doctor and she prescribed a type of eye drop for me. Do you know what this is and how long it will last? My eyelids are stuck together when I wake up in the morning and the eye is scratchy and itches and some times the scratchiness is painful. The doctor looked and did not see any forign matter in my eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

What you describe appears to be allergic conjunctivitis, although one cannot discount the possibility of a condition called blepharoconjunctivitis.

In allergic conjunctivitis, the eyes and eyelids become swollen, the eyes become teary and there is significant itching and sometimes pain. It is usually triggered by environmental factors such as dust or pollen. The treatment includes anti-allergy medications such as Pataday, Alrex or Optivar and cool compresses. Avoid rubbing the eyes as this will only worsen the symptoms.

In blepharoconjunctivitis, many of the above symptoms are experienced, but, in addition there will be a crustiness of the lid margins along the base of the eyelashes and you may wake up with the eyelashes stuck together, as you described. The treatment includes, washing the eyelid margins with baby shampoo to remove the crustiness and antibiotic ointment for nighttime use.

I believe the most likely diagnosis is allergic conjunctivitis. Of course, there is no substitute for a complete eye exam to confirm this. The condition is usually seasonal, but in some patients it can be present year-round if no treatment is sought.

I hope this is helpful....

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If this is allerigic should'nt I have had this beforea? This is the first time I have ever had it. I have been taking something called Falcon and it has ciprofloxacin, hydrochloridophthalmic solution in it. is this the correct eye drop i should be taking?
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

No, allergic conjunctivitis can start at any time and there doesn't have to be any prior history. Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic drop. This will have no effect on allergic conjunctivitis and only marginal effect on blepharoconjunctivitis. Ciprofloxacin ointment is much more effective for treatment of blepharoconjunctivitis. I have strong suspicion that you are experiencing allergies and this is the reason that you have not seen any improvement. I believe that the allergy drops I mentioned above may be more suitable. Of course, there is no substitute for a complete eye exam to accurately diagnose and treat whichever condition you may be suffering from.

Good Luck as you look for a resolution to this problem...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB

Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience: General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery