Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

I HAD 3 EYE SURGERIES OVER A YEAR NOW, IT ALL STARTED WITH

I HAD 3 EYE SURGERIES OVER A YEAR NOW, IT ALL STARTED WITH A DETACHED RETINA, I WAS TOLD AS SOON AS THE 3RD SURGERY WAS DONE I COULD GET AN IMPLANT AND EVERYTHING WOULD BE FINE. BUT IT WASN'T AND ISN'T. I JUST FOUND OUT NOT TOO LONG AGO, MY PUPIL IS FROZEN.
IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE OR IS THE NERVE DAMAGED FOREVER?
PLEASE LET ME KNOW, THANK YOU
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Can you give me some additional information?

1. Your age and gender?

2. Do you suffer from any medical conditions?

3. Was the retinal detachment due to trauma to the eye or did it happen spontaneously?

4. Were two of the surgeries intended to fix the retinal detachment and the third to remove a cataract and place a lens inplant?

5. Did the pressure of the eye increase after the surgeries?

6. Do you know your vision now? (in the 20/20 scale)

7. Are you currently using any eyedrops?

These answers will help me better evaluate your case...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I AM 67 FEMALE

NO KNOWN MEDICAL CONDITIONS

I HAD ALOT!!! OF FLOATERS AND WAS VISTING MY DAUGHTER IN TAMPA, THE DR. SAID I NEEDED EMERGENCY SURGERY .....NO TRAMA TO MY EYES BEFORE, THE 1ST WAS FOR A DETACHMENT, TEAR AND A HOLE IN THE RETINA/THE SECOND A DR. IN GEORGIA DID A BUCKLER? AND THE THIRD I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE DID, I WAS TOLD AFTER HE DID THAT I WOULD GO TO ANOTHER DR AND HE WOULD PUT AN IMPLANT IN AND I WOULD BE FINE. DONT REMEMBER ANY PRESSURE,I ONLY SEE LIKE SILLOETTES IF I COVER MY GOOD EYE, I DO NOT KNOW THE VISION IN THAT EYE, I REALLY NEED GLASSES TO SEE UP CLOSE AND I HAVE A STIGMATISM IN MY GOOD EYE? NO I DO NOT USE DROPS, MY EYE SEEMS WATERY ALL THE TIME , ALSO I WAS TOLD THERE IS SKIN OVER THE TEAR DUCT.

WHEN I WENT TO SEE THE OTHER DR. FOR THE IMPLANT, HE SAID HE COULDN'T HELP ME. AND TURNED ME OVER HIS OTHER DR. THAT WAS SO KIND AND REALLY TRIED TO HELP ME, WITH CONTACT LENS, I FINALLY ASK HIM IF HE REALLY KNEW WHAT I SAW, HE SAID NO AND I EXPLAINED IT TO HIM AND HE THEN LOOKED AT MY EYE AND DETERMINED I HAD A FROZEN PUPIL, AND A PIECE OF SKIN ON THE TEAR DUCT. NO CONTACT LENS WE TRIED COULD HELP KEEP THE LIGHT OUT???? IT HAS BROKEN MY SPIRIT, I WAS VERY ACTIVE AND NOW I STAY DEPRESSED IS THERE ANY HOPE????????? THANK YOU

Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

I am very sorry to hear about your difficult situation. Retinal detachments can be difficult to treat and the success of the surgery usually depends on how soon it is performed after the onset of the detachment. Usually, the surgery should be performed within 48 to 72 hours in order to preserve useful vision.

A frozen pupil, refers to a pupil that remains dilated despite bright light. This may result from little stimulus of light being perceived by the eye secondary to the retinal detachment or may occur secondary to trauma sustained during the surgery. Either way, once frozen, normal pupillary activity is not likely to return.

From what you have described, I believe that there is little hope for the vision to improve. However,I think it is important that you address the tearing and the sesitivity to light that has bothered you. For the tearing, I recommend that you visit an oculoplastics specialist. These doctors concentrate on the eyelids and have several alternatives that may help decrease the constant tearing. To help keep the bright light out, you may want to visit an optometrist that specializes in difficult contact lens fittings. Usually, these optometrists can be found working in well established ophthalmology practices.

I know this is a difficult situation for you. I often remind my patients that, fortunately, losing vision in one eye does not mean blindness. God gave most of us two functional eyes at birth and after such an event we can now depend on our remaining healthy eye. You must concentrate on protecting the other eye. This means wearing glasses with shatter-proof lenses (polycarbonate material) at all times. Also, any floaters or changes in your vision to the better eye should mean an instant visit to the ophthalmologist for a complete evaluation.

I wish you the best as you continue to deal with this matter...

God Bless,

Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience: General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery