Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I just accidently sprayed some off repellant in one o

Customer Question

I just accidently sprayed some "off" repellant in one of my eyes. I rinsed for about 5 minutes immediately following. My vision seems fine and i'm not in any pain. However, my eye is still red and my eyelids are still heavy because of the rinsing. Should I be concerned with the possibility of substantial damage being done? Is there anything else that I should do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  smugrnch replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the question. I will refer to our eye experts.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Ideally you should be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist.
The sprays contain lot of chemicals which can harm the cornea (black portion of eye).
It is good that you rinsed the eye thoroughly.
Till you are examined, you can use lubricating eye drops like systane/optive/genteal etc and lubricating eye gel like genteal eye gel. These are available OTC. Also apply cold compresses with ice on the closed eyelid. Take an anti-inflammatory like tylenol/ibuprofen.
Regards