Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I rarely have allergies however this spring I have really been

I rarely have allergies however this spring I have really been affected by the trees. Last Thursday I woke up with a swollen left eye and a pain in my temple and sinus area. It is still swollen and itchy and the pressure on the left side of my head is great. How should I treat this? Taking a Claritin helped a little with the pressure and reduced the puffiness a bit, but each morning my eye is almost swelled shut and itchy and with crustiness from drainage.
What can I do?

Dealing with allergies can be very tough. There are only two sure ways to eliminate allergy symptoms: 1) remove the source of the allergen and/or 2) remove yourself from the source.

Understanding that the above sometimes cannot be accomplished, there are some things that you can do to reduce the symptoms. For the local symptoms, there are eyedrops that you can use to try to ease the eye symptoms (like Elestat, Optivar, Pataday). Sometimes when bad enough, I will prescribe low dose steroids. Cool compresses can help with the swelling. You can also eliminate environmental factors, like decrease makeup (if you are female), turn off ceiling fans, vacuum and dust regularly, make sure ducts are clean, humidifiers.

For the underlying allergy itself, getting medications (like Zyrtec, Allegra) can help. Shots sometimes work for severe cases. I also tell patients to check for signs of mold in their house (this is a source that most don't think about).

Hope this helps.