Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

I am 40 years old I have lost a portion of my eye sight in

I am 40 years old I have lost a portion of my eye sight in my right eye. I was diagoniosed with a retenal vein occlussion on May 29th 2009. I have had my blood tested but will not know the results until Thursday June 4th. I also have a fluorescein angiography scheduled for that day.       
     This morning I did my yoga practice. I do hatha sport/fitness yoga. Afterwards I looked through the different benefits that each pose has on the different organs and systems of the body. the downward dog has a contraindication that says (unmedicated high blood preasure detached retina, weak eye capillaries, glaucima, conjunctivitis or any infection or the eyes or ears. recent or chronic back injury or inflammation.)
      I have been doing yoga for 4 months 5 days a week. I also do an hour of aerobics 3 days a week. my question is: is it safe for me to do yoga before I go to my eye doctor on Thursday? A couple of other yoga poses had similar contraindications regarding the eyes.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Retinal vein occlusions can be exacerbated by any activity that increases the pressure in and around the eyes. Any yoga position that requires the head to be below the level of the heart, will cause the pressure to increase and can be potentially harmful. Activities such as heavy lifting, especially weight lifting repetitions in a gym should also be avoided.

Aerobics should be OK, again, as long as your head remains above the level of the heart and no heavy lifting is invloved. Yoga positions that do not violate the above instructions are fine to perform. If this is possible during your yoga class, then I see no contraindication to attending.

Please discuss any future limitations after the full evaluation on June 4th. Until then, I would recommend taking the above precautions.

I hope this is helpful...