Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

I keep getting red eyes all year doctors at a small clinic

Customer Question

I keep getting red eyes all year doctors at a small clinic keep saying its pink eye or conjunctivitis, and now my eyes are red again and are in pain I had and at the same time I had an eye lash get in my eye when getting it out with a tissue I noticed that I am pushing a small layer of clear substance around my cornea. Is that normal? Or is it a contact lens that I forgot months ago in my eye it won’t come out!!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

What has your doctor treated your eye condition with? What other medical condition do you have? Do you sleep in your contacts?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution USP.

I dont have any other medical conditions. I do not sleep in my contacts.

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

The term conjunctivitis is merely a generic term for red eye. It does not tell you anything. I also doubt that you keep getting pink eye. There are many causes of chronic red eyes. One common one is allergic conjunctivitis. Another is contact lens related keratitis (from either overwear or reaction to some of the solutions). Another is giant papillary conjunctivitis (caused from contact lens overwear also). Another cause is chronic sinus problems. Another is inflammed pterygium or pingueculum (growths on the white of your eyes that can get red and inflammed).

That clear substance that you see is probably part of the white of your eye that has gotten swollen from the chronic inflammation. Sometimes it swell up real big and looks like a blister. This is usually with allergies. The other thing it could be is a pingueculum. This is a growth on the white part of your eye that can swell up and turn red (usually from allergies).

My guess is that you have chronic allergic conjunctivitis. You need to see an eye doctor to make the diagnosis. Sounds like you need to be on a mast-cell stabilizer (like Optivar or Elestat or Pataday drops). You may need to get on allergy medications (like Allegra, or Zyrtec). Sometimes when real bad, I will start patients on a low dose steroid medication as well.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for the info
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.