Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

What causes one to see red dots in their vision

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

what is your age? when did this start? is it one eye or both? do you have any medical problems?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 79 years of age, in good health otherwise. I began experiencing the red dots about 3 weeks ago, along with a decline in visual acuity from 20/30 to 20/50 vision. I see the small red dots over the entire visual field, using one eye or both eyes. The dots appear quite small on near surfaces, but larger on more distant ones. I see them all the time. My ophthalmologist examined my eyes and found no structural problems with the retina or other parts of the eye. He didn't know what caused the red dots, but speculated that it might be a problem in the occipital lobe or in the optic nerve. He also referred me to a neuro-ophthalmologist whom I will see next week.

Hello there

most often when one eye sees the dots, it is an issue in the eye. As in your case, I suspect something is happening in the area of the occipital cortex or something near the pituitary causing optic nerve pressure. I think I would order a CT or MRI to evaluate those regions, and I pretty sure the neuro-ophthalmologist will do this after listening to your symptoms. If you have started a new medicine recently, this could be an issue as well, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens