Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My dog has a cloudy eye full of mucous and I want to know what

Customer Question

My dog has a cloudy eye full of mucous and I want to know what is wrong with her. She is less than a year old and a small poodle.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

What type of dog is she? is there any redness to the eye? was it like this all along? can she see out of this eye?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Poodle

Eye lids swollen mainly top and red inside lid

She looks blind and I just discovered it after a hair cut

Hello there

I suspect she had glaucoma or trauma that caused scar in that eye. A vet can tell you exactly what is going on so you dont have to wonder about it, I am pretty sure this is not simply an infection unfortunately, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She is less than a year old, is that too young for glaucoma?

Is there any possibility of parasite symptoms? I have no money, to pay for a vet's visit... Could it possibly spread to her brain or other part? I have been using saline to clean the eye as it is always closed shut by the mucous... like pink eye, but only her lid seems pink...eye lense all cloudy. The eye keeps producing mucous all day.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there any possibility of parasite symptoms? I have no money, to pay for a vet's visit... Could it possibly spread to her brain or other part, if a parasite?

I have been using saline to clean the eye as it is always closed shut by the mucous... like pink eye, but only her lid seems pink...eye lense all cloudy. The eye keeps producing mucous all day.

Hello there

glaucoma and cataracts can form at birth and lead to symptoms such as these. Hard to say if this is a parasitic infection, I doubt it since it seems the eye itself is not very red or inflamed rather more cloudy. There are low cost clinics at some vets offices, I suggest you get her checked out once to help figure out what is going on. Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the treatment for glaucoma? If I put it off a bit longer will she loose the eye?

I suspect the vision in the eye is beyond repair either way, glaucoma is treated with eye drops daily, however a proper diagnosis should be made to figure out the cause, no matter what it is, Regards

Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to tend to her properly. One last worry, will she have a normal life span other wise? What is the life expectancy with glaucoma?

God Bless,

Mari

Mari

I expect her to have a normal life span and she does not know any different, she just cant see out of the one eye. Regards XXXXX XXXXX a good evening, Dr. S