Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

MY HUSBANDS EYE HAS A BIG RED SPOT WHERE THE BLOOD VESSELES

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND'S EYE HAS A BIG RED SPOT WHERE THE BLOOD VESSELES ARE. LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF THE BLOOD VESSELS HAVE RAN TOGETHER AND MADE ONE BIG BLOOD SPOT IT IS A VERY LARGE RED SPOT COVERS THE WHOLE SIDE OF HIS RIGHT EYE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PUPIL. IS THERE A CONCERN TO WORRIED ABOUT.?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

This is what we call a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While its appearance can be alarming, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. It tends to happen more frequently in people who have high blood pressure or you use blood thinning medicines, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, vitamin e, coumadin, among others. It also tends to happen more when people have some redness in the eyes to begin with (blood vessels are already dilated). The blood will be reabsorbed into the body within a week or so. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Usually, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, or a mild pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. If you don't have any of the mentioned causes, and this happens more than several times, you should see your doctor to make sure there is no underlying ocular problem and to be sure you don't have high blood pressure or bleeding disorder.

I hope you find this helpful, Dr. Stevens

This link has a pic of a very small hemorrhage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subconjunctival_hemorrhage
I would like to remind you, you have been interacting with a US trained, Board Certified Ophthalmologist. If you feel you have had excellent service, you may decide to add a bonus once you accept the answer. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens