Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I have itchy watery or extremly red eyes .I have tried perscriptoin

I have itchy watery or extremly red eyes .I have tried perscriptoin drugs for allergies [zyertec D] and Bausch&Lomb Opcon-A eye drops. But it seems that nothing is a permanent
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

you have classic symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis (ocular allergy). You can take the following steps for relief:

Cool compresses and artificial tears such as Refresh Optive several times a day for immediate symptomatic relief

Zaditor OTC drops to reduce the underlying process (this helps calm the surface of the eye and starts to work after several days). This is something you may have to use chronically and works very well (much better than Opcon-A which ends up causing redness after a few days of use).

A dose of benadryl typically helps in terms of severe itching, though it can cause drowsiness so beware

In a few days, it will be much better, Regards