Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

For the past 3 or more weeks my son has been saying his eyes hurt

Customer Question

For the past 3 or more weeks my son has been saying his eyes hurt. He is always rubbing them and even wakes up in the middle of the night saying they hurt. What could be wrong?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
How old is your son? does he have any other symtoms, such as runny nose, sneezing, red eyes, discharge? any medical problems?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is 2 years old and he does have a runny nose; he has thick green discharge from his nose and once in awhile he has discharge from his eyes. He tends to get pink eye quite a bit.

Hello there

I suspect that he suffers from nasal allergies and develops colds and sinus infections. I suggest you get him evaluated by his pediatrician. If he sees signs of allergies, he can recommend loratadine for him for allergy relief. For his eye symptoms, he can be given something called Zaditor OTC 2 times a day. It is an eye drop and you will have to get it in his eyes. This will help with the symptoms in a couple of days, Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

I would like to remind you, you have been interacting with a US trained, Board Certified Ophthalmologist. If you feel you have had excellent service, you may decide to add a bonus once you accept the answer. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens