Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Hello, about 8 years ago I had Herpes Simplex I, Keratitis,

Hello, about 8 years ago I had Herpes Simplex I, Keratitis, in my right eye, was treated, and am fine; but I know it can come back. My cat was diagnosed with feline leukemia about 6 years ago but has never been sick. Now she has a very red eye, looks like pink eye would in a person. I want to know if I am in danger of catching something from my cat? (I will get her to the vet as soon as I can.) Can people get eye diseases from cats? Thanks.

Hello there

you are very unlikely to get an infection from the presumed infection the cat may have in its eye. We worry about cat scracthes and diseases that people may get from being scracthed but feline conjunctivitis is not going to affect your eye. Nonetheless, exercise caution and wash your hands as this is a contact driven infection, not airborn. Regards XXXXX XXXXX